STIHL has a long history of developing environmentally responsible solutions for your outdoor power equipment needs, and now with the benefits of the STIHL Lightning Battery Power System! There’s no fuel, no exhaust emissions and little noise. But one thing you’ll find a whole lot of is convenience. So raise your glove and salute the innovators, the power seekers, the landscaping virtuosos who’ve brought STIHL battery to the forefront.
The revolutionary STIHL Lightning Battery System is now available company wide!! Check out our various locations HERE.
*not sold at our Burlington location
From hedgers to trimmers, push mowers to chainsaws, the Stihl Lightning Battery System has you covered, homeowners and professionals alike! The STIHL battery product line features three tiers of performance, so you can find the right family of products for your needs. Whether you’re a landscaping professional or an occasional use homeowner, STIHL battery tools have the power to get the job done on a single charge, and to do it as well as gas-powered products:
- Family-owned business
- State-of-the-art plant in Virginia Beach manufactures more than 200 different models of chain saws and power tools (1974 – first plant established)
- Made in the USA
- Pistons are so precisely built that they are measured in microns (the average human hair is 50 microns!)
- Export to over 90 countries around the world
- Environmentally conscious/latest technologies allow products to meet or exceed EPA and CARB standards
- More fuel efficient than ever before
- Sold through independent servicing dealers rather than mass merchants
- From homeowner to professional lines are manufactured – gas and battery powered
How To Choose a Cordless Product
- How large is the property?
- What type of work will you need to do?
- Will you need just one unit, or a variety of products to get the job done?
- How often will you use your unit(s)?
Stihl Battery Overview (Stihl Lightning Battery System – AI/AK/AP Series)
- Battery technology has advanced to the point where battery-operated products are a cost-effective alternative to gas-powered, while still offering run times and power that are comparable
- Research suggests that by 2025 battery-powered outdoor power equipment will surpass gas-powered
- Batteries cannot be overcharged – charges automatically switch off
- There is a temperature sensor to protect batteries from overcharging (but don’t store batteries in charger)
- On average, it only costs 5 cents to charge a fully depleted battery to 100%!!
- When inserting the battery, there is a double click – the first click connects the battery to the machine, the 2nd click engages the battery to power the machine
- Battery Management System (LED Status signals):
- 1 green LED – 25% charged
- LED lights light up as battery charges – once fully charged the battery/charger are shut down
- 1 glowing red LED – too hot/too cold – always try to keep batteries from extreme temps
- 3 glowing red LED’s – motor is too hot (maybe debris or a dull chain has been causing stress on motor)
- 3 flashing red LED’s – internal battery issue
- 4 flashing red LED’s – internal battery issue – battery needs to be replaced (if integrated battery, the electronics would need to be replaced)
The Facts Behind Battery Voltage
- Common misconception to think that the rated voltage of a lithium-ion battery strictly equates to power (true energy capacity of a battery is actually measured by watt-hours (Wg)) — Wh = Voltage x amp hours
- High voltage = high motor torque/high power
- The capacity of the battery (amp hours or ah) = running time
STIHL Lightning Battery Line – AI Series
For smaller projects, choose the easy, all-in-one convenience of the STIHL AI Battery Series. AI products feature an integrated battery that plugs right into the wall. This series is ideally suited for quick tasks around smaller yards and condominiums.
- Takes 3.5-5 hours to charge
- Designed for smaller properties
- Integrated battery
- If 3 LEDs glow red continuously – battery it too hot/too cold
- If 3 LED’s flash red when you activate the trigger switch – product has an electrical malfunction
Exceptional power meets exceptional value. The AK Battery Series has everything you need to get working. This series is ideally suited for frequent use around suburban yards.
- All AK batteries are interchangeable between AK products
- If LED glows red continuously – battery too hot/too cold
- If all 4 LED’s flash red – battery must be replaced
- Geared toward those with larger property/weekly use
- Batteries interchangeable between all products in this line
Troubleshooting Non-Working AK Units
- Inspect all battery contacts aren’t damaged and free from corrosion
- Inspect air intake for damage/possible debree contacting fan
- Listen for audible click when squeezing the trigger – will verify switch is mechanically working
- Depress battery status button to light up LED’s to see the status of the battery
- If none of these are issues, you will need to open up the unit for further inspection (test motor with tester by connecting the red and black motor leads – correct reading should be between 0.2 and 0.8 Ohms) – otherwise motor will need to be replaced
AP Series Battery Line
AP Battery Series delivers professional-grade power and is great for extensive use on a wide range of properties. Choose from extended-reach hedge trimmers, pole pruners, lawn mowers, cut-off machine, and more. AP Battery Series works with AP chargers and batteries, as well as our AR backpack batteries.
- Geared for daily/professional use
- Boasts long run time and power
- Good for homeowner and professionals alike
- Low vibration levels to reduce fatigue
- Variable speed trigger
- Brushless, commercial grade, high torque electric motor (requiring less maintenance and resulting in long motor life)
- AP batteries consist or AP (standard 100, 160, 300) and AR (backpack 2000, 3000) batteries
- When charging, 1 glowing LED = too hot too cold, 3 glowing = too warm, 3 flashing = malfunction in power tool, 4 flashing = malfunction in battery
- Can use battery belt system for comfort/convenience
AK/AP Series Chainsaws
- Uses 12” (14” on 200 model) Rollomatic E guide bar (has strategically placed ramps to control flow of oil/direct all lubrication to where is needed) – recommended
- Uses and ¼” Picco saw chain – very low vibration/20% more cutting capacity than the 3’8” – recommended – specifically designed for Stihl battery products to require less power with its thinner design
- Has Quicktop Plus – reduces risk of injury by bringing the rotating saw to a complete stop when rear trigger is released
- Has Quick chain adjuster – facilitates correct tension on a saw chain or to change the chain itself without the use of special tools
- Lightning Battery System – does not require motor or filter maintenance (an air filter isn’t even required)
- Bar and chain lubricant still necessary
- Accessories – 2 in 1 filing guide
- Environmentally friendly/produces zero exhaust emissions
- Warranty covers any failure due to defects in materials/workmanship occurring during warranty period (misuse/accident/neglect not covered)
- Coverage only applies to Stihl products purchased/repaired by authorized Stihl dealers
- Accessories, replacement components, and spare parts are covered for 3 mon ths from date of purchase regardless of use
- Warranty parts must be tagged by claim number and held for 90 days
- Dealers can be held liable for accidents and injuries caused by manufacturer defect, etc, but Stihl will cover any defense costs and pay any fees/retribution should a lawsuit be filed (must follow Stihl guidelines with sales – only Stihl authorized warranties, accessories, etc.)
- Important to inform/educate customers with each purchase
- Always recommend protective apparel and safety gear